Thursday 10 January 2013

Salt & Pepper Parsnip Crisps

These are made of vegetables, so can only be healthy!*

*This may not be 100% true, sorry

I am a massive crisps fan.  I am also a massive vegetable crisps fan.  Not so much of a fan of the price though, so if I have the time [& a craving], making my own are the perfect answer and much easier than you may think.  As it's the New Year and I wouldn't be human if I wasn't trying to start the year with a more healthy lifestyle than I have been leading the last few weeks, no deep fryer needed.

What I Used:
Parsnips [I use one parsnip per person]
Oil
Salt & Pepper
Equipment Needed:
Grater / Guillotine / Knife
Wok / Frying Pan

Preparing the parsnips are really easy and other than giving them a scrub, wash and chopping the top and bottom off, I don't bother to peel the parsnips as the slice will be cut so finely.
 
I used the slicing side of a cheese grater to create my crisps, but you can thinly, thinly slice if you don't have one, or if you have a vegetable guillotine, these are perfect for creating crisps.
Once you have sliced your parsnips, heat some oil [I used olive oil, as it was all I had] in a pan and wait until it has completely heated up, but is not spitting or boiling.  To test, place a parsnip slice carefully in the pan.  If it sizzles, the oil is ready and you can start adding batches of your crisps.  I find it easier to do separate batches, to try and fry them as evenly as possible and keep the frying even:
Once the parsnip crisps have turned golden, remove and leave to the side to cool on a piece of kitchen paper to soak up any excess oil.
I then transferred the crisps on to a tray lined with baking paper [crisps that need more baking than others around the edges] and put in the oven for around 15 minutes at 180 degrees C.  If you found the parsnip pieces began to stick together whilst frying, they can be separated now.
As the crisps cooled, I added a pinch of salt and good sprinkle of pepper to flavour and once completely cooled, I then popped them in the fridge for 15 minutes [as that was all I could cope with before eating/hoovering them] to make them a little more crisp.


Don't forget, you can follow me on Pintrest:
  Follow Me on Pinterest

 and Twitter!
Share:

1 comment

  1. These look like a delicious alternative to the traditional potato chip. How yummy. xx. McKenna Lou
    www.lynnandlou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

© The Things She Makes | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig