Friday 18 January 2013

The Beginners Crochet Roundup - Part 1

Morning!
I have a slightly different post for you this morning.  As you may know, Crochet is my New Year, New Craft project for 2013 and I am determined to conquer it.  I have started as an absolute beginner, so I know it's fairly important that I  am patient in learning the right techniques and basic stitches.  Super boring.  But I am hopeful of the projects that I will be able to do as a result.



I thought I'd do a quick round up of a few of the sites that have been helping and inspiring me in my quest, just in case you are a keen crocheter or are learning too.  Although these sites are brand new to me, as a complete novice, you have probably heard of them before:

Simply Crochet
The people who bought us craft in a modern, stylistic and relevant format as 'Mollie Makes' have a new magazine - 'Simply Crochet' and an accompanying website which are not only inspiring, but have some great tutorials on how to start crocheting from scratch.  I've yet to find a local stockist that still has any copies of the magazine for sale, but will continue my search and hope to review on the blog soon.

The Purl Bee
Wow.  This is what I want to be able to do!  Any project you can think of, there is a gallery, tutorial and guides to accompany it, as well as inspiring photos.  There is a wealth of information about yarn, hooks and equipment too.

YouTube
This has been great for breaking down confusing photos or diagrams and I have been able to pause, rewind and rewind again until I have understood.  Perfect if you are learning alone too, or need an example based on whether you are left or right handed.

Ravelry
I am pretty sure that this is the largest resource for any knitting and crocheting project you can think of. You have to join to access it, but it is free and there are a wealth of interpretations, so even if you don't feel ready to take on a project, someone is bound to have a simpler version, or a variation that is more your style.


This is just for starters, I have several blogs saved in my favourites that I am still working though, so will update this post with my recommendations once I feel I can make them!

Do you have any resources that will turn m into a crochet guru that you can share?  I'd love to have a link to them! [thethingsshemakes@yahoo.co.uk]


Don't forget, you can follow me on Pintrest:
  Follow Me on Pinterest

 and Twitter!
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Things She Makes | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig