Tuesday 22 January 2013

Thoroughly Modern Mollie



I'm more than sure that you will have heard about, bought and read the wonderful Mollie Makes by now, but after more than 20 issues, I thought I would write my review of one of my favourite crafting magazines.  Mollie Makes, for me, was the answer to wanting a modern, relevant and design-led craft magazine.  It's also got a fab website which is a regular inspiration resource.  If you need a crafty tweeter to follow, new craft book, recommended online store, crafty website, new projects or patterns and a rundown of the latest trends and some brilliant freebies too - Mollie Makes is the answer.  
The projects included in the magazine range from beginner to experienced level, so no one is excluded and most projects can be modified easily to suit your taste or preferred crafting style.  I've also really enjoy reading the interviews with bloggers and crafting gurus, seeing where they work and reading about their success in turing their crafting into a career - the lifestyle and interior articles are also very inspirational.  If I could sum the magazine up, I would describe it as less of a magazine and more of a reference book - I have all the issues and I will keep them.  Whether for reference, inspiration or as my crafting and interests change, there is something that I will be able to pick up, have a look at and have a go at in years to come - what's not to love about that?
If there was anything I could change, it would probably be the reduction of small textile food and animal based projects [though very cute] - mainly because I am maybe more orientated towards making items for the home and projects that have a more functional use.  However; if you have young ones that are interested in craft, or if you want a chance to put your skills to work they are perfect projects to work on and even give the finished items as gifts.  I would love some more interesting paper, needlework and maybe even my new obsession, air dry clay projects to really cover all aspect of craft.
Purely my personal taste, but we are only 21 issues in and 'Hey Mollie Makes, why aren't you written just for me and what I want?'  *Update: Mollie Makes have just announced Mollie Makes Home - coincidence?!  Very excited for this and can't wait to read ;)*
I thought I'd link to a few of my favourite projects from their website, on my to-do list this year, just in case your are in need of a crafty fix too:
Fabric Leaves [like the ones above]

Are you a reader or new convert?  What do you think?

The snow, as beautiful as it is and as much as I love it, is causing much disruption craft-wise as I can't pop out and buy the materials I need, so I have been making the most of the time indoors crocheting and mentally planning my future projects.  I also have a bake-fest planned for the weekend which I am very excited about, so I must start working out my recipes and timings in advance, rather than just before I start [as usual] - hope the snow isn't causing you too many problems and see you tomorrow!


Don't forget, you can follow me on Pintrest:
  Follow Me on Pinterest

 and Twitter!
Share:

1 comment

  1. Those mittens look oh so cozy!! I want a pair. xx. McKenna Lou
    www.lynnandlou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

© The Things She Makes | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig