Saturday 22 June 2013

The Non-Traditional Trifle and a Wimbledon Warning

...and a little warning in advance of Monday, when I become Wimbledon obsessed and sit in 
front of the TV until the 7th July eating anything strawberry related.  I think things are going 
to be food-heavy around here, I hope that's OK? and I warn you now.  I can't wait.

If the weather today is anything to go by, we might be in for a sunny couple of tennis weeks, but then again, I've probably just jinxed all that.  Today, we had a BBQ and I made a trifle for dessert.
This is not a traditional trifle, but I don't deviate from the classic too much - I just don't include the sponge base.  As you may know, I am not the biggest fan of sponge, so I substitute with the help of caramel biscuits.

What I Used:
500g Ambrosia custard carton
4 strawberries
1 pack of strawberry jelly [135g]
8 Lotus biscuits
canned whipped cream
handful of flaked almonds

I bought this trifle bowl for £2.25 in Sainsburys.  £2.25 and I could not resist.  
Perfect size for around 4 servings [6 if you are being mean with your portion sizes]:
As this is a simple dessert to put together, I thought I'd make an effort with the decoration, so used 4 large strawberries , sliced them lengthways and arranged them around the bottom of the bowl:
 ...mixing up the jelly as instructed with hot and then cold water, I poured this in the the bowl
and left to set in the fridge for a couple of hours:

 ..holding the strawberries in place:
Next, I used my favourite feel-like-your-in-a-cafe-at-home biscuits, Lotus caramelised biscuits.  These are flaming awesome and wont go soggy and this is the selfish aspect of my trifle.  I love them.
I bashed them to pieces and then layered until the strawberries and jelly were covered:

Next, I used a carton of custard to make the next layer:
 
 ..and then literally went mad with the can of cream and almonds for the final layer and decoration:


Yum.  See you on Wimbledon Monday!
Share:

1 comment

  1. Epsxe apk is basically a PlayStation emulator for android. It is possible for an individual to download and install the Epsxe Android Emulator right from their computer. This is an essential tool that will be very helpful in testing the efficiency of an application before it can be released to the masses.

    https://clickmodapk.com/epsxe-apk/

    ReplyDelete

© The Things She Makes | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig