making | baking | creating

DIY Accessories | Bamboo & Marble Jewellery Stand


Happy New 2016! [am I still able to say that, half way through January?]
I hope the year has started in a fantastic way and you had a fab break [probably completely forgotten about it by now though....]

 Like many, I spent the first few days of January trying to re-organise, de-clutter and have a general tidy round.  One of my first DIY projects of 2016 has been inspired by a mix of Oliver Bonas and the kitchen aisle of Asda and adds another storage/display item for my jewellery collection.

I've also, many seasons too late, fallen in love with marble.  Big time.  There are several marble-themed DIY projects coming your way, just to warn you.  I'll try and spread them out, so as not to bore you, but a £4 roll of vinyl marble goes a pretty long way.

I'd seen the marble and copper wire jewellery stands in Oliver Bonas last year and had been tempted many times to buy one, but there was something a little too delicate about them that meant I knew I'd knock them and/or probably stab myself with the arms.
I saw this mug tree [Asda, £5] and immediately saw it as my solution. It has a good weight to the bottom and I love the bamboo colour and cream base finish.
It was just missing the marble.
I unscrewed the base and carefully stuck a marble vinyl [Wilko, £4] to the top - use a ruler or something with a straight edge to smooth the finish and remove any air bubbles:
To get a neat finish, use a craft knife to cut around the base:
...and screw the base back on [the tree will pierce the vinyl easily]:
You could leave the stand with this detail, but I added a few extra touches at the base
 and top of the tree:

I'm tempted to add some gold/bronze paint to the mix - just at the top and end of each arm to add an accent - but for now, I'm happy with the final look.  Hang your bracelets, watches, necklaces and trinkets and have them on full display [no more tangles!]
Have I got away with it?...or does it just look like a mug tree decorated with jewellery?
see you next time x 

1 comment

  1. Hi there, thanks for sharing this jewelry stand and I will surely implement this because recently I got a set of hand stamped jewelry and I don't have a stand or box to keep it safe. Thanks once again.

    ReplyDelete

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig