Sunday 26 February 2017

DIY Home Decor | Serving Tray

Sometimes, the best DIY makes are quick, easy and unexpected and that’s exactly what I’m bringing you today with this display tray.  

| WHAT YOU NEED |
Wooden Tray / Grey Paint / Paintbrush / Paint Tray / Marble Contact Paper [or any pattern]

| HOW YOU MAKE IT |

As my home sorting/organising/decorating continues [does it ever end?] I have been on the lookout for a tray that I can both use to put an end to the juggling act I insist on in carrying things upstairs [rather than making two trips] and when not in use, look nice and part of the home décor.
I have re-purposed frames in to trays before [here], but this needed to be a little more functional and I needed handles.

I spotted this wooden tray in Hobby Craft and not only is the shape and size perfect, it was cheap and ready for a quick transformation that would make it what I had been looking for.

Simply, I coated the inside and out with a light grey paint, painting with the grain of the wood and spilling slightly over on to the inside base of the tray before leaving to fully dry.

To add both a decorative and protective base, I used a marble contact paper to line the bottom of the tray.  In order to ensure neat, measured lines, I cut a template slightly wider and longer than the tray before sticking to the base, removing any air bubbles and marking the sides to cut.  
I opted for a craft knife to run along the sides, but you could also gently peel the paper away and cut with scissors.  Ensure the paper is fully adhered and smoothed to remove any air bubbles.
As a final decoration and to add a little depth, I mixed a slightly darker grey to paint the insides of the tray handles.
Once fully dry my tray was ready to use and now my stairs can be free from coffee spills and I won’t have to balance under my arms, chin and neck.  
When not in use, it’s the perfect display tray in the kitchen for my coffee capsules, syrups and sugar pot.
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Things She Makes | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig