Monday 18 August 2014

How to Make Mini Pinboards




What I Used:
3 Cork Pot Stands [Ikea, £2.50]
Sticky Back Plastic [HobbyCraft, £5.00]
Craft Knife / Scissors / Ruler / Pencil

Before I get started with this Mondays DIY, I thought I'd just give you the heads up that painting on to these cork pot stands isn't going to end happily.  Don't spend time creating, carving and cutting stencils - you'll only end up with at least an hour of your life you can't get back and abandoning the project for a good month to recover.  Just letting you know.
Add those 15 layers of paint with no visible difference to the opacity:
Told you.

I'm a fan on storage / space saving / accessories being decorative as well as functional.  I've made a speech bubble noticeboard before and this project largely follows from that - creating pinboards that are decorative if not in full use, three times lucky.  
As the paint was a huge fail [I should have known, these cork pot stands were only ever going to absorb everything] I pondered on what to use instead for a few weeks until I decided sticky back plastic deserved a come-back in my life and found a nice roll of embossed light-gold plastic in my second home.  A little pricey - but I used such a small amount, this has many a projects-worth for your pounds.
 I tried three [OK, two] different styles to try out the vinyl - the first was a simplistic geometric style - made simply by cutting small triangles from the plastic [thank goodness for the guidelines on the back]:
...and placing in a fairly random style directly on to one of the corkboards:
Although the plastic adheres really well to the cork, it isn't permanent - unlike if used on paper - and can be moved about if you change your mind on the placement [or in a couple of months, the design!]
The second design was a little more intricate and I opted for a short and typical 'hi' which I drew free-hand and transferred to the back of the plastic by taking all my pent-up aggression out on the reverse:
I cut the majority with scissors, but for the slightly more intricate parts - that needed a smooth line and not a creased mess that turning scissors around would have created - and detail of the 'h', I used a craft knife.  Remove the backing and test yourself with how well you can centre your design:
For the third and final board, I re-used my animal head pins to add a little functionality and used them as hooks - if you fancy making them for yourself, you can see how here.
see you next time x
Share:

5 comments

  1. Totally loving (and pinning) these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate! So easy [and I love any excuse to shop in Ikea!] ;)

      Delete
  2. how did you hang the cork on the wall? did you use double sided tape? can you suggest wall friendly ways on hanging these boards?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I was in rented accommodation when I made these and used the Command wall strips which are like velcro and remove without damaging the wall after! Hope that helps! :)

      Delete
  3. Great trick and best activity. I'll try to make it.


    molecular desiccant supplier

    ReplyDelete

© The Things She Makes | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig