Friday 18 July 2014

How to Make Studded Cork Art

 Todays post is a corker [it's been a long week, sorry].

I've had these IKEA bought cork pot holders for a while now, determined to use them for anything other than what they are intended - along with some studs I've had in my stash for at least a year, inspiration struck during last nights thunderstorm and I made this in the earlier hours of today - cork studded art.

What I Used:
Cork Potholder Mat [3 for £1.99, Ikea]
Fashion Stud Brads [£2.99, HobbyCraft] [they have some fab star studs too - next project!]
Printed template

Like many a project on here, I probably don't need to tell you anything about how to make this - it's so easy and can be adapted to be as simple or detailed as you like.  
I decided on simple and printed myself a template form the computer to guide me:
Starting from the bottom point of the heart, I made my way around the shape, pushing the studs in to the cork as you would a push pin - they sit flush and are incredible secure [though can be easily removed if you get the placement wrong / change your mind]:
I continued along the template in fairly evenly-spaced measures, but I didn't worry too much about each gap being the same....
...until I completed the shape outline:
Remove the template and you have your studded art:
You could create a mixed media project, or add a painted message/design on the inside if this is a little too simple. I'm thinking of having a go with some studded words next [don't worry, no thread added this time!]  But this type of project and method could be adapted to all kinds of designs - if you have a go, I'd love to see!
have a great weekend,
see you next time x
Share:

1 comment

  1. Information article, it was very helpful! I simply began in this and I’m attractive more familiar with it better! Thanks, keep doing amazing.. here my site: car video recording system

    ReplyDelete

© The Things She Makes | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig