Sunday 27 November 2016

DIY Home Decor | Fragrance Diffuser





Creating your own home scents is easier than you may think and make great gifts.


| WHAT YOU NEED |
Almond Oil / Fragrance / Containers / Reeds / Nail Varnish

| HOW TO MAKE IT |

For the container, you need something sturdy, flat bottomed and with a narrow opening.  It was not as easy as I hoped to find something like this as a single item.  A narrow opening will keep all your lovely fragrance contained and hold your reeds in place.
Nearly giving up, I used something cheap and to hand - spare travel containers.  I have a few diffusers that have beautiful large, square containers, but they take up a lot of room and I was on the look-out for something smaller and slim-line. 

The plastic container also meant I could decorate it with my favourite quick decoration method - nail polish brush strokes. I chose a gold colour and made light strokes of the nail polish around the base in various directions to add a little detail:
No brush washing needed and it dries in minutes!

The Base and Fragrance:

You can make your own scents with the choice of two bases.  Vodka [no, no, no - I'm drinking that] or Almond Oil.  The only difference this made to me was that the colour of the vodka base would be clear and the almond oil yellow - so something you may want to consider if you have chosen a clear container.
I chose something sweet and citrusy for my fragrance - sweet orange - and it will blend nicely with the candles I am starting to burn around this time of year.
You also have two options for the diffusing: Bamboo skewers - anyone who knows me [or reads this blog] knows I love a marshmallow pop, so I have hundreds of these around, or reeds, which are easily available online [or, like me, may have some spare from other diffusers].
The balance of oil and fragrance will depend entirely on how 'strong' you want the scent to be.  The balance I found to work was adding 2 parts oil and 1 part fragrance, which was a small amount considering the size of my container and gives me plenty of top-ups to come.
I also create a spray using exactly the same method and it has been perfect for bursts of fragrance in the kitchen and areas where I can't sit a diffuser, such as the hallway.
Create a combination of someones favourite scents and you have a great gift too!
I'm still on the hunt for the perfect glass bottle - let me know if you find one!  If you have a favourite perfume that has now run out and want to keep the bottle, it's also a great way to display this too.
Share:

21 comments

  1. Can't believe how easy it is to make a diffuser! I love home fragrance and will definitely be making my own scent combination - probably something pine based ready for Christmas

    - Natalie
    www.workovereasy.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about an empty glass spice container?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello I am so delighted I located your blog, I really located you by mistake, while I was watching on google for something else, Anyways I am here now and could just like to say thank for a tremendous post and a all round entertaining website. Please do keep up the great work. aromatherapy diffuser

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfumes are complex. Different plants, like fruits, flowers and even bark can be used to compose the notes of perfume. Scents are one of our most powerful senses. The smell of perfume or cologne can bring you back to a time and place. The complexity and combination of aromas is endless and adds additional time ابراهيم القرشي

    ReplyDelete
  5. This article is amazing. It helped me a lot. Sir, keep up the good work. We are always with you and look forward to your new interesting articles.
    Electronic Diffusers in Dubai | Diffuser Suppliers in UAE | Electronic Fragrance Diffuser Abu Dhabi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Informative article, thanks for sharing this great information
    Aroma Diffuser Dubai

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are three sorts of gel candle wax, high, medium and rarity . Each sort of wax has its own characteristics. the upper the density the thicker it's and therefore the higher its fragrance hold. rarity gel can hold alittle amount of fragrance and therefore the objects which will be successfully embedded in it are people who are light and little only. Medium density gel candle wax is that the hottest among the three due to its cost and features. It can hold a medium amount of fragrance that's not too strong or too light. It can hold almost any quite embeds except people who are really heavy. High density wax can hold the very best amount of fragrance and most any objects are often successfully embedded in it.wax melts

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very useful post I really appreciate thanks for sharing such a nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very informative and impressive post you have written, this is quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sanzon is one of the leading China aroma humidifier factories, essential oil diffuser suppliers. The factory specializes in providing various models of aroma humidifier and essential oil humidifiers. Flower vase aroma humidifier

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful post thanks for sharing great information.
    Home Fragrance Spray

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. amazing blog, with such nice information.Incenza presents perfumes and fragrance sticks for home with a nice fragrance. The fragrance fills your home with positivity and joy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very interesting blog, Thanks for sharing this content pls visit our site Rigid Boxes

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice Blog...
    Thanks For Sharing These Blog With Us...
    Home Fragrance Products

    ReplyDelete
  16. Light of Sakina is a mission and a beacon of kindness, not merely a brand. We pledge to always use our power for good, allocating USD 1 from each product sold to help people in need. We work to empower women oil perfumes and children who face difficulty by forming collaborations with verified run organizations across the world. For us, business is about meaning and purpose more than just making money. We appreciate your participation in our effort to change the world.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am fairly certain I'll be informed many new stuff proper here!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Best of luck for the following!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am visiting this web page and reading very informative content here.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I blog quite often and I seriously thank you for your content.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The article has really peaked my interest.

    ReplyDelete

© The Things She Makes | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig