Monday 3 February 2014

How to Make Dinosaur Magnets

 Last year, I made some simple push pins a little more decorative by covering plastic farm animals in nail varnish and gluing the two together:
I was really pleased with the little decapitated heads, so I when I saw this pack of dinosaurs for £2 in my local ‘The Range’, I snapped them up to add a bit of prehistoric pretty to my magnetic noticeboard:


Made in a very similar way, I began by separating the heads from the bodies with nail scissors.  These figures had pre-defined joins that made this process much easier, but the figures were hollow, so didn’t really require anything stronger to cut through them [but if you want to save your nail scissors, any standard scissors will do]:


Once separated, I balanced the parts vertically to fill with PVA glue.  This is to give the magnets something to hold on to a little later on.  Leave the glue to dry for around 24 hours and after this time, the glue will have dried and sunk a little.  Top them up and leave to dry overnight:

Finally, you will have a solid base on which to attach your magnets.  The magnets I already have are a little too large for the figures, so I picked up a pack of small magnetic circles from the craft shop for around £2.50:
Glue your magnets in place and they are ready to hold your most important lists, letters and tickets:




If your response to the glue drying is ‘aint nobody got time for that’, I would suggest filling the hollow with blue tack, tissue or anything that will fill the space – this will hold your magnet in place without the need for any glue and provides a non-permanent solution too!  [Make sure your magnet can take the weight though]

see you next time x
Share:

5 comments

  1. Ah poor decapitated Dinos! But they do look super cool.

    I need to petition for a Range to come to Cambridge I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bit of a crafters paradise - it's becoming my favourite :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, wonderful diy project. More ideas can be found here: www.dearlives.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are so cute.Thank you for your diy tutorial.

    ReplyDelete




  4. Nice blog,I think this is among the most vital information for me. keep it up! plastic magnets

    ReplyDelete

© The Things She Makes | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig