Monday 23 June 2014

Sun/glasses Case


I was lucky enough to be bought a sewing machine when I was 15 to help me with my chosen Design & Technology module: Textiles.  I decided to make a wedding dress and how I thought I could do this without one is beyond me, but anyway, I still have the same machine and although it has been well-used, I've neglected it a little over the last few years.  I'm keen to get started again and this proved to be the perfect project in re-learning how to use it.  This DIY requires nothing more than a running stitch, so if you don't have a machine, it can be recreated by hand-stitching, or even with fabric glue/glue gun.

What I Used:
White Pleather Fabric
Blue Pleather Fabric
Popper
Sewing Machine / Needle / Thread / Scissors

    [right click and 'save as' to your desktop to print]

To start, print and cut out the enclosed template - this template will recreate a generous-sized glasses case, so if you don't own silly bug-eyed glasses, or have two pairs to carry around like me, you can slightly reduce the seam allowance accordingly - there are plenty of opportunities to do this, so if you are unsure, use the template to cut your fabric and we can sort that part out later.
Pin your template to your chosen fabric and cut to size:
[I was using my draft, so imagine a pinned and correctly-sized template above!]
I chose pleather PVC material as it is incrediably easy to cut and work with, durable, water-proof and doesn't fray, meaning a lining isn't required if you don't want one. 

At this point, you can leave the material undecorated, simple and chic, however; I wanted a little design to the case, so used more left-over fabric from this project and cut three sort-of-straight / casual / didn't-use-a-ruler stripes to embellish the bottom.  Cut the length so that they over-lap the case material by around 1cm, as this will allow you to be as messy with securing the stitch at either end as you like.
Pinning in place across the bottom third of the fabric, I stitched them in place with a simple running stitch in white cotton....which was not the straightest of lines [first on the list of re-learning], so I blended the stitches by colouring them in with a Sharpie!  You would never know.
Next, attching the fastening.  If you don't carry one million things in your bag, like me, or the case isn't going to travel anywhere [like in your car] and will be safe from the glasses falling out, you could leave the fastening stage out of this DIY, however; it's almost ineviatable that I may drop this case or pick it up upside down, so I chose a simple popper to open and close the top.  Fold the top of the fabric in line with the template, turning the pattern side into the inside.  Now fold the material in half [this is a good stage to check how long wide you need the case to be for your glasses], pin if needed and mark the centre of the fold where the popper will need to be secured:
I attached the first half of the popper with several hand stitches to make sure it was secure:
Using the half of the popper that is attached, you can now make sure that the other half matches and aligns by placing it on top of the popper and pressing in to the opposite side to mark the fabric:
....use this mark to align the second half of the popper and stitch in place:
To finish the top, stitch along the bottom of the fold to secure it in place:
Finally, the bottom and sides now need to be stitched together - use the popper to make sure the fabric does not move and pin the fabric securely so that it does not mis-align the seams [have a final check once pinned that your glasses can fit in the pouch and adjust accordingly].  When making the stitches, start and finish with plenty of excess thread, so that when the case is finished off, a neat finish can be made, hiding the joins [more on that in a minute]:
Once the stitching has been made, use the excess thread at the start and finish of the stitches to work the thread back into case - this will allow you to 'hide' the start and finish of the stitching, neaten the finish and prevent any loose thread. Secure and trim the ends and also trim any excess material along the hem. 
[If you are feeling particuarly neat, you can zig-zag along the seams]

Fold the case inside out and you are good to go:
There are so many embellishment and design options for this DIY: fabric paint, free-hand embroidery stitching, embellishment, studs......but for a re-introduction to my machine, simple was best this time around, so if the Sun stays out for long enough, I might have another go with something else soon.
This is a simple and easy introduction to creating a case/purse - and could be recreated with fabric glue if you don't own a machine, or with hand sewing.  I haven't included a lining - but if you wanted to create one, I would suggest using the template and cutting the top short, so that it matches the top/clasp fold, attaching in place when the top/clasp fold seam is secured.
see you next time x

Share:

10 comments

  1. I love so much your creation! But sadly, my sewing skills are nonexistent! :D

    http://cups-and-roses.blogspot.gr/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You could definitely complete this DIY with fabric glue - just make sure everything is clamped and left to dry overnight to make sure everything is sealed :)

      Delete
    2. You're right, thank you!!! But sewing is more magical than glue, right? :D

      Delete
  2. Thanks a lot! You tutorial is very easy to understand :) The popper aligning trick is very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the best tutorial i've seen, thank you so much for sharing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am definitely making one for my dad for Christmas!!!!! I love sewing, nd I had no idea what to make him, but I know that he likes his sunglasses, so I decided on this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only strive to mention one's content can be as incredible. This clarity with your post is superb! Thanks a lot, hundreds of along with you should go on the pleasurable get the job done. lunettes de soleil alexander-mcqueen

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are a projected organization offering a full range of top construction companies in Pakistan services and investment management while maintaining a solid foundation of trust and mutual respect generated through a positive relationship with clients, architects, engineers, subcontractors, and suppliers.

    ReplyDelete

© The Things She Makes | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig