Monday 23 February 2015

How to Make a Plaster of Paris '&' Ampersand Symbol

We're going right back to GCSE Art lessons: Mod Roc, Plaster Roll or Plaster of Paris - whatever you called it, I'm sure you came across the weapon of choice for todays DIY at some point during school art.  After seeing a roll of plaster on sale at HobbyCraft, I couldn't help but find a project for it.
In my continued efforts to make accessories for my home, a Decopatch symbol and a 
bowl of water was all I needed.

What I Used:
Decopatch '&' Symbol
Water / Paint

This DIY is actually pretty simple and is in no way as messy as I remember - all you need to make
 sure is that everything you need is on hand - have a protected surface, cut your strips of plaster roll
 and have a bowl of water near by - then you're good to go.
I started my plastering with the edges - this way, you can fold the plaster in place over the front and back, which will then be covered later.  Starting from the centre, I dipped my plaster roll briefly in 
to the water, wiped off the excess and then smoothed over the Decopatch symbol:
To neaten any corners or edges, I placed the plaster roll in line with the symbol: 
Continue for the full length to ensure the symbol is fully covered:
...then move on to covering the front and back of the symbol:
Cut smaller pieces of the plaster roll to ensure the inside sections are also covered:
Once fully covered, leave the symbol to dry fully over night [or longer if you fancy starting this 
project at the start of the week and finishing at the weekend].  Once dried, you can leave the 
symbol as it is, but I wanted to give some colour with a little silver, black and white paint:

I started with a complete covering of silver paint:

...and then highlighted areas with a dry brush and small stipple of black and white paint:

...which added a little more dimension and detail:
Leave to dry fully and then it is ready to display:
see you next time x

Like an excuse for a DecoPatch project? Step right this way:

Share:

2 comments

  1. this trick are looking more useful for me really thanks for share

    ReplyDelete
  2. The website is looking bit flashy and it catches the visitors eyes. Design is pretty simple and a good user friendly interface.
    EIFS

    ReplyDelete

© The Things She Makes | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig